Rockin' Marathon Relay
Team up with some friends and take on a marathon! The Rockin' Marathon Relay offers the opportunity to gather a team to conquer a full marathon, all the while enjoying music and a fun party atmosphere at the relay exchange zone! Without a doubt, this will the most fun you'll ever have running a marathon!
Here's how Rockin' Marathon Relay works: every course is set up as a loop of only 1.2 - 2.2 miles, so it's all contained in a small area (not like your typical marathon that can spread across an entire city). You and your friends create a team of 2, 3, or 4 members and then you alternate relay laps (one time around the small loop course) until the full marathon distance is completed. While one team member is out taking their turn on a lap around the course, the rest of the team is having a good time at the relay exchange zone. The exchange zone is one big party - enjoy music, food, and socialize with teammates and competitors alike - but be ready for when you next take the hand-off for your team!
For those of you who are bold enough to try the full marathon on a loop course alone, you can run the Rockin' Marathon Relay solo!
This event is held entirely within the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo! On each leg you'll find yourself winding and weaving around the habitats of the animals that call the zoo home!
Event Details and Schedule
Address: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, 3900 Wildlife Way, Cleveland, OH 44109
5:00pm – Race-Day Registration and Packet Pick-Up
5:40pm – Registration and Packet Pick-Up Closes
6:00pm – Race Start
11:00pm – Course Closes
The course is a 1.21 mile loop within the Cleveland Zoo. Relay teams will complete a full 21 laps and 1 partial lap. The first leg of the relay is short of a full loop to get the full 26.2 miles.
With the odd number of legs and the first leg with a different distance, team members will be running varying amounts. Below is how the legs and distances would be structured for a 4-person relay team:
Runner #1: 6 legs, 1 at .79 miles and 5 at 1.21 miles, for a total of 6.84 miles
Runner #2: 6 legs at 1.21 miles for 7.26 total miles
Runner #3 and #4: 5 legs at 1.21 miles for 6.05 total miles
- $45/person on or March 18.
- $50/person after March 18. Race day registration will be available.
Family and friends ages 6 and up can get into the zoo as relay spectators for a cost of $5/person (kids 5 and under are free). This entry fee includes food and beverages.
What your entry fee gets you:
- Finisher Medals!
- Live Music and/or DJ!
- Race T-Shirts! (T-Shirts will be first-come first-serve for race-day registrants and sizes will be limited.)
- During and post-race food and beverages!
- Hang out with the animals!
- The most fun you'll have at a marathon!
Timing / Awards
Relay teams are chip timed and split times will be taken for each leg.
Awards for the top 2 relay teams in the following divisions:
- 2, 3 and 4 Person Team Male
- 2, 3 and 4 Person Team Female
- 2, 3 and 4 Person Team Mixed
- 4 Person Team Corporate Challenge Division (all team members from the same company)
- 4 Person Team High School Challenge (all team members in high school)
- 4 Person Team Masters (combined age 160 years)
- 4 Person Team Grand Masters (combined age 200 years)
- 4 Person Team Clydesdale (combined weight 760 pounds)
- 4 Person Team Athena (combined weight 560 pounds)
Parking will be available at the zoo.
Rules / Guidelines
In the event the race should be canceled for reasons beyond the control of the Race Director or Race Committee (inclement weather or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency), refunds will not be made, but race packets, including race shirts, will be available at a location to be determined. Information will be available on the race website.